Diversity & Equity at LaSalle II
At LaSalle II part of our mission and vision is to ensure that diversity and equity are all encompassing in our school culture and are part of every decision that is made at the school. This includes areas such as continuous improvement plans, hiring practices, curriculum, discipline practices, etc. We recognize that challenging our biases and confronting institutional racism requires constant attention and reflection, and we are committed to doing that work here to ensure our students and everyone in our school community feels safe and valued.
As part of our commitment to equity work at the school, we have partnered with Single Story. Single Story is unique and innovative diversity integration consultancy that specializes in changing people’s hearts. They are experts in devising and executing strategic plans for organizations that raise awareness, increase cultural competency, and deepen our capacities for inclusion. This process engenders an environment where all feel supported, secure, validated, and important. Single Story helps organizations build the healthiest environments possible.
Our work with Single Story includes the following:
- Staff professional development
- Topics include politics of location, managing implicit bias, and blending cultural competency with positive racial identity
- Parent workshops
- SEED (Seeking Educational Equity and Diversity) groups for staff and parents
- Diversity Committee led by parents
- Diversity Advocacy Team -staff led task-force that influences institutional change within the school’s pedagogical and operational systems.
- AMID Survey- Assessment of Multiculturism, Inclusion, and Diversity. This evaluation will help shine a light on topics that include:
- Progress in meeting diversity, equity, and inclusion goals through diversity strategic planning
- Success in existing diversity and multicultural programs and initiatives
- Your school’s current level of inclusivity as perceived by multiple constituencies
- Areas of need, whether in the curriculum, infrastructure, governance, or services
- Engagement processes that illuminate patterns, multiple perspectives, and opportunities for improvement
A more detailed overview of our strategic plan around equity can be found here.
If you are a parent and are ready to get involved, please contact Karen Morris at [email protected]. She is a parent on the Diversity Committee and has students at LaSalle II in 4th and 6th grade.